Thursday, September 20, 2012

My Book Fair Loot



Ever since I've worked with OMF Literature, where I am now, the Manila International Book Fair has been part work and part pleasure. But this year's book fair has felt thin somehow. Maybe it's the lack of selections,
maybe it's my lack of time to browse. In any case, I came home with four books from the Fair.



 I've been following Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series for some time now, and I get the next book as soon as I finish the last one. So I got the next book in the series, Temple of the Winds.

And yes, I decided to jump on the Game of Thrones bandwagon a little too late. Still, better late than never. I want to see what the hoopla is all about. I expect to see incredulous jaws to drop among the geeks for this.



The other two I got, from the OMF Lit booth are these, The Earth is the Lord's and Do Hard Things. 

The Earth is the Lord's is a compilation of papers from a theological forum conducted by Asian Theological Seminary back in 2009. I got this because it does have helpful articles that I might need, and because I was one of the editors who worked on it.





The second is Do Hard Things. Written by Joshua Harris's younger twin brothers, Alex and Brett, it sets out to encourage young people -- teenagers -- to not be slackers and dares them to go out and, well, do hard things and make something of themselves despite their youth. I like the concept and may share the book with the youth group at church if I find that it really is helpful.

But let's be realistic. It's been decades since I've been a teenager. I may glean a few things from it, but I doubt if i could relate to most of the stuff in the book. 

So why did I buy it? Here's why:


No comments:

Post a Comment