Monday, October 5, 2015

Back to Back Game Days

There are a few things that I look forward to, and Game Days are one of them.



When Rita and I got married, we decided to set up a family tradition of holding monthly Game Days -- dedicated days where we invite friends over to hang out, play games, and have fun. We find that it is refreshing to the soul, a time of respite from daily work, chores, and responsibilities. Some of our friends share this sentiment, and they come over to play, schedule allowing.

This October 3, we scheduled such a Game Day. Alas, all but one of our friends were available for it. And personally, it was a downer. But then, one is still better than none and we three -- Rita, Bryan, and myself -- are enough of a quorum for most games, so we pushed through with it.



Bryan came and hung out with us. After a good meal and good conversation, we started playing, starting with Card of the Dead.


Rita took the first round as the only one left uneaten by the zombies. The second round was won by Bryan, based on points.


 Bryan took the third round as well, and won the game with the most Survival Points.


Next up was an interesting abstract game brought by Bryan called Pentago. Rita and I played that one and I was amazed at the rotating board.


This was the only game I won for the night. I owe that to hours of playing Othello with my dad.


The finale of the night was two rounds of Star Trek Catan.




 Yes. Two rounds. The first was a rules-teaching game for Rita and a refresher for me.






Bryan won both rounds, keeping his winning streak unbroken.



Good game guys! Let's do that again next month. :)

Next day, Rita and I visited our friend John at his place in Greenhills to continue John's Scion campaign. With us that night were Sven, Vincent, JB, and Jo. Rita just watched the festivities.


It was great to be able to play RPGs again. And this night was made better because it was only at this point that I got a handle on the genre and the game. The last two sessions felt like an orientation.


We tried our best to finish this arc of the story but the mysterious shadowy villain (The Shadow? The Shadow?! The Shadow. Never mind.) was just too tough for us to handle. Or the dice hated us. Either way, it was late and John the GM declared a "to be continued."

It was a fun, refreshing, but long weekend. I am grateful to God for good friends, good games, and a loving wife who would support a geek such as me.

Much as it was great, I'll try to not do back-to-back gaming again.

Unless it is followed by a no-work day.

Or back-to-back no-work days.

A man can dream.











No comments:

Post a Comment