Saturday, January 23, 2010

25 years of GI Joe and it's only now that I got to play


The year was 2007, and something happened that I thought never would: the GI Joe of my youth was back!

I distinctly remember being into GI Joe in 1987, when I was in my second year of high school. But a minimal allowance and limited family budget (not to mention the pressure of "growing up") kept the number of my Joe figures small. I had a version 2 Snake Eyes and a version 1 Storm Shadow. When one of my cousins migrated to the US, he left me a Jinx and an Iceberg and some loose accessories. Only the rich kids got a lot of figures. Vehicles and playsets were under the category "Asa ka pa!" ("In your dreams!"). That era ended with some good times, albeit limited.



Fast-forward to 2008. An officemate came to my cubicle and was harping about the release of the GI Joe 25th Anniversary 5-pack and the 25th Anniversary - G.I. Joe Cobra 5-Pack Action Figures Set We checked Amazon for it and plotted to get those figures. For me it was the first time ever I could have the core characters: Duke, Scarlett, Roadblock, Snake Eyes (Commando), and Gung-Ho. (Okay, maybe Gung-ho wasn't core, but he was in the first 5-pack.) Then I got the Cobra 5-pack. Then Hasbro continued the line two years after the actual anniversary, before the GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra movie and its line of toys were released.

Beware of grown working men who never got their fill of toys when they were kids.

22-10-09_2125

Now, my Cobra figures are at platoon strength, and I can organize my Joes into squads/teams. And yes, I also got vehicles.

DSC00052

Thank God I got to enjoy GI Joe one more time. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment