Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Rumor: Is Disney buying Hasbro?

I'm not one for rumor-mongering, but I had to take notice of this one, as it will affect several of my favorite franchises (GI Joe, Transformers, Dungeons and Dragons) in one swift blow.

In the wake of the news that Disney bought Lucasfilm for $4 billion, there is now speculation that Disney is negotiating to buy toy giant Hasbro. Personally, I'm taking this as strictly rumor. On the one hand, it might infuse my fave franchises with new life. But on the other hand, why Hasbro? Why not Mattel which is smaller? Or is this another manifestation of the ugly side of capitalism: If you can't beat them, buy them.

Reflecting on it further, such a merger, if true, might be a good thing. During my visit to Hong Kong Disneyland, I had a first-hand experience of what "Disney Magic" can do: it brings out your inner child regardless of your current age. If Disney could do that to their brands, could they also do it to Star Wars (another favorite franchise of mine).

Time will tell if such rumors are true, and if they would be good things.

No comments:

Post a Comment